Friday 23 February 2007

Chianti baked meatballs

For some weeks now I have been teasing my brother that he is becoming a creature of habit, because he had meatballs every Friday night for a succession of weeks. To be fair to him and his wife, they tried out different recipes each time so they weren't entirely stuck in a rut. (And they've now shifted sideways in mince terms to spaghetti bolognaise). Also I shouldn't ridicule meatballs because they are real, honest good food, the sort of food I tend to forget about while I'm trying out the latest fad. It was probably thanks to Stuart's shortlived meatball mania (as I write that I can imagine his face reading it and I wince) that I jumped on Jo Pratt's meatball recipe. Yes, I'm still on her. I am physically restraining myself from cooking my way through her book; instead I'm picking and choosing. This recipe claims to be for weekend cooking, but I made it midweek; it doesn't take that long and as usual with these recipes it's incredibly easy. To make the meatballs, mix together minced beef, chopped onion, crushed garlic, chopped black olives (stoned), breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, egg, paprika, chopped red chilli, chopped parsley and seasoning, and then shape into meatballs. Toss them in olive oil in an oven proof dish that is large enough to hold the meatballs in a single layer but not much larger than that. Bake for 10 minutes, then pour over Chianti, turning the meatballs to coat them in the red wine. Return to oven for 10 minutes then stir in tinned chopped tomatoes, sugar and basil. Cook for another 20-25 minutes and serve with pasta or baked rosemary potatoes.


Thne meatballs were nice - proper winter food. I liked the idea of baking them rather than cooking them on the hob, because it liberates you from the kitchen while the meatballs cook. Anything for an easy life! Also this makes it quite good weekday food, for me, as long as you get home in time for the cooking time not to be prohibitive - it's easy and warming and hearty, as Jo points out.

I feel the need to support easy homemade food at the moment. I saw in my local (mammoth) Tesco Extra that Jean-Christophe Novelli is coming on Tuesday; initially I presumed he was coming to sign a new book, but it would seem that he is promoting a ready-meal range from Findus. I'm not impressed. People in my local Tesco honestly don't need encouragement to buy ready meals - their trolleys are full of them already. I think I will be boycotting Tesco on Tuesday.

8 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Yours look great! We had some similar ones this week. What I like most about them is that you can freeze them and bake them later for a quick meal :)

Kelly-Jane said...

They look lovely :) They are on my long list for her book (as I look through it at night the list seems to get longer!).

"Meatball mania" LOL. I'm sure there were many happy suppers :)

KJxx

Freya said...

I love meatballs but only if they get the well baked 'crispy' outside on them! Yours look delicious too!
Article on Jo Pratt in todays Mail (my mum reads it, not me) highlighting her triple threat chocolate cake and some cute little custard and rhubarb frozen lollies in shot glasses!

Kathryn said...

Charlotte, I rarely make meatballs either. I think they have definite man-appeal (at the risk of reiterating every stereotype in the book).

Ashleigh - hi! I didn't make extra and freeze, but last time I made meatballs (Jamie recipe) I did and it worked fantastically.

Kelly-Jane, I know what you mean. I think the list gets longer because the dishes are so easy that you can imagine making them in the week, rather than saving them up for when you have lots of time.

Freya - I love how whenever anyone I know quotes the Daily Mail, they always say 'someone else reads/buys it'. Reading the Daily Mail is definitely a mark of something! Not sure what. The triple choc dessert I made and blogged earlier; haven't made those cute lolly things in shot glasses yet but they are pretty sweet...

Freya said...

Kathryn! In my case it is true! I prefer something far trashier..my mum bought the Mail and I bought the Mirror. Purely because I wanted to read about Britneys meltdown. Don't ask me why as I'm not a fan of her music, just addicted to trash I guess. I think the Mail represents a not-quite liberal, not quite conservative attitude, not to mention condescending articles that are very pompous. I read it for fun more than anything!
I remember your triple threat cake because it came with that delicious malted ice cream if I remember rightly...
Have a great weekend!
Freya x

Anna's kitchen table said...

Yum, now I'm drooling...I ADORE meatballs and meatloaf!

Kathryn said...

Hi Freya,
that's right the chocolate tart did! I read the Daily Mail television magazine at my grandmother's, but that is it.

Anna - are you suffering from meat-withdrawal symptoms???

Kathryn

Ros said...

I don't know what it is about meatballs that makes them so much better than any other mince. You season them the same but somehow they are always better, just for being meatballs.

I like the use of chianti with these meatballs. It sounds like they'd have a fantastic flavour!