Tuesday 27 February 2007

Duck, orange and honey stirfry with lots of greens

I think you may all be glad to know that I am probably moving on from Jo Pratt. I could feel this turning into Jamie project revisited, which wasn't what was intended; I am meant to be reviewing books in the plural, not obsessively revisiting one in particular (I have my Jamie blog for that). Anyway the duck, orange and honey stirfry sounded like a good way to start off the week in a vague pretence at healthy eating that still allowed for something a bit different (I'd never stirfried duck before) and that was fast (Mondays are my busiest days and we get home later than usual).

To make it, marinate strips of duck breast in orange zest, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and honey. Remove duck from marinade after up to 30 mins and stirfry as usual, removing then adding green veggies (Jo suggests pak choi, asparagus, spring onions and broccoli; I skipped the asparagus and broccoli as I didn't have any of the former and didn't feel like the latter), stirfrying, then adding the rest of the marinade with orange juice stirred in and returning the duck to the wok when the sauce has thickened. Serve either alone or ('if you're feeling really hungry') with cooked noodles.


You'd probably guessed before seeing the photo that we were likely to be feeling hungry (!). I was a bit worried about the orange in this dish as I'm not keen on duck a l'orange and was hoping it wouldn't be too orangey; I was relieved that the orange flavour was subtle. The honey worked really well, making the duck sticky and brown. I am always looking out for new stirfries, and duck opens up a whole new avenue of stirfrying to come!

5 comments:

Freya said...

I haven't tried out duck yet but this recipe looks really good!

julie said...

All your latest creations look delicious, this books seems worth looking up;)

Kelly-Jane said...

Your duck looks fabulous!

I was looking at a book called The Nation's Favourite Food today and Jo is one of the three authors of it - the one resposnible for the recipes. I'll have to re-read it and see if there is anything really good!

KJxx

Kathryn said...

Hi Freya -- duck is lovely! Julie, the book is great. KJ - I remember the programme that led to/came from that book - it was repeated recently on UKTV food. Let me know if there's anything nice in it!!

Kathryn x

Ros said...

Duck orange and honey is such a wonderful combination.

I know what you mean about duck a'lorange though. When it's done badly it can be pretty nasty. When I was little I was made to eat these horrible ready meal chicken a l'orange things and it took a while before I was brave enough to try the properly done versions.