Friday 2 March 2007

Lamb steaks with pea and chickpea mash and mint and lemon pesto

This week has been extraordinarily tiring, thanks to a series of meetings that required prior reading and thought; I've spent my evenings struggling to keep my eyes open as I plough through another pile of mindbogglingly dull documents. I am more than relieved that it's now Friday and I can start to relax (and think about food again....) - and even blog again. The problem is that my mind is still playing in a continuous work-loop, which means I'm writing jerkily and hesitantly. I do resent work occupying my brain on Friday nights.

Anyway onto the recipe: this is one I made earlier, to borrow the Blue Peter phrase, because this week has been a bit slow on the cooking front (I've had to cut corners to make as much time as possible for the aforementioned boring paperwork). This recipe is from the healthy section of In the Mood for Food, but it bears no resemblance whatsoever to what you might expect a diet dish to look like. It is, basically, lamb leg steaks served with pesto (made from almonds, mint, parsley, lemon, extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan and seasoning) alongside a mash made with tinned chickpeas, frozen peas, paprika and lemon juice and blitzed in a processor or roughly mashed. Hardly rabbit food...


This was delicious. Really easy, allegedly healthy but very tasty (so often, healthy and tasty don't go together). I served it as suggested with briefly roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine. Another dish I'd make again, not least because I liked the mix of colours and textures (how superficial am I...?). Thank goodness it's the weekend, and I get to cook properly again...

5 comments:

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi Kathryn

Your lamb looks great, it's lovley and colourful too. I'm really interested in the pesto - must look that one up.

How did the chickpea and pea mash taste? It sounds really different.

KJxx

PS The 'Delicious 5 of the Best' book is great, looking forward to trying something soon. Thanks for the heads up :)

Freya said...

This looks so tasty and just the thin when you've had a tough week! All we could manage last night was popcorn and some tuna in tortillas (canned tuna at that!!).
Now tell me, are you going to change the blogs name to Kathryn is in the mood for food?
Freya x
p.s. Have a great weekend!

Rachel Rubin said...

That looks great! I love lamb chops. I only had them with mint one time and I loved it.

Kathryn said...

KJ, the mash was really good - had quite a vibrant taste. And the Delicious book is great, you're right. I'm making dinner from it tonight, in fact.

Freya - how cheeky are you?! My next post, I promise, will show diversity.

Hi Rachel - I love lamb chops too. They are good with mint, and rosemary, too... Mmm. Thanks for calling by.

Kathryn x

Shaun said...

Kathryn - This looks fabulous. Though I am a big fan of lamb (what can I say? I'm from New Zealand), your chickpea mash is calling me. I love chickpeas and their versatility (I don't know how many Middle Eastern themed cookery books I have flipped through to find different ways of using chickpeas). I think that I could quite happily have the mash on its own during this very humid Auckland Summer.